Search This Blog

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Agate Gemstone is one of my favorite stones to use in my classic gallery design in my jewelry line.  Agate can have so much character and pattern, which is what I love.  They have a 6 1/2 - 7 on the  Mohs' hardness scale and takes a great polish.  They are usually enhanced by dyeing and heating.

 There is a modern unique process where a design is painted on them with an alkaline metal and then fired.  This design is called DZI, originated in ancient Tibet.  I believe I have become somewhat obsessed with these unique gemstones, wanting them in all colors with all kinds of designs.  I like to do a classic gallery design with a tribal style with the agate gemstones, especially faceted ones. There are many websites and books just for agates for gemlovers to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment